Privacy Notice for the Avon Coroner’s Service
HM Senior Coroner for Avon is the data controller for the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998 and other regulations including the General Data Protection Regulation (Regulation (EU) 2016/679), which means they determine what your data is used for and why it is collected. The purpose of this privacy notice is to tell you about what information is collected about you when you use our service, how that information is used and who it may be shared with.
HM Senior Coroner for Avon is supported by a team of HM Assistant Coroners.
The contact details of the data controller are: HM Senior Coroner for Avon, The Courthouse, Old Weston Road, Flax Bourton, North Somerset, BS48 1UL, 01275 461920.
What data we need to collect and the legal basis for processing it:
We may process data such as personal details, family details, lifestyle and social circumstances, financial details, and employment and education details.
We also process sensitive classes of data about offences and alleged offences, physical or mental health details, racial or ethnic origin, religious or other beliefs, sexual orientation, and criminal proceedings, outcomes and sentences.
We are collecting this data because we are required to under the Coroners and Justice Act 2009 and the Coroners (Inquests) Rules 2013.
How long we will keep your data for:
- Matters reported to HM Senior Coroner for Avon that are deaths due to natural causes (A and B forms) are held for 15 years, after which the data will be deleted or archived
- Cases which result in an inquest are held indefinitely
Why we need to collect your data:
HM Senior Coroner must investigate all deaths which are violent or unnatural; where the cause of death is unknown; death while in custody or state detention. In addition, HM Senior Coroner also investigates discovered treasure.
HM Senior Coroner for Avon, when carrying out their investigations, commissions:
- Post mortems – context, background and supporting information, which may include personal and sensitive classes of data about living people, is processed to assist in the determination of the cause of death on behalf of HM Senior Coroner for Avon
- Inquests – context, background and supporting information, which may include personal and sensitive classes of data about living people, is processed to assist in the determination of how the death occurred including in some cases the wider circumstances on behalf of HM Senior Coroner for Avon
Who we share your data with and why:
As inquests are publically accessible, this data will be shared with anyone attending the proceedings, including the press.
Article 23 of the GDPR introduces exemptions from the regulations of GDPR for the purpose of the protection of judicial independence and proceedings.
During the course of undertaking her statutory duties, HM Senior Coroner for Avon may share data with the following main organisations:
- Bristol City Council, North Somerset, South Gloucestershire, Bath and North East Somerset Councils
- Chief Coroner
- Avon and Somerset Police
- Pathologists working for HMC
- Funeral directors in West of England
- Local Coroners – specifically those where cases are often transferred to/from
- NHS Hospital Trusts in West of England
- Avon & Wiltshire Mental Health NHS Trust
- Clinical Commissioning Groups covering West of England
- Avon and Somerset Police and Crime Commissioner
- Ministry of Justice
- Avon and Somerset Fire & Rescue Service
- British Transport Police
- South West Ambulance Service
- Crown Prosecution Service
- Health and Safety Executive
- Accident investigation branches
- Families affected
- Bristol, South Gloucestershire and North Somerset Register Office staff
- Cemeteries and Crematoria in West of England area
- Other organisations which from time to time are involved with an investigation and who are required to provide evidence or assistance to the Coroner
Where the data is appropriately requested, it will be transferred to another country. All e-mails sent externally will be secured in transit.
Where we have received your data from a third party:
We primarily receive data from Avon and Somerset Police, NHS Hospital Trusts in West of England and GP’s, however, data will be received from other organisations listed above. The data we have includes personal details and/or sensitive classes of data.
Your rights as a data subject:
You have the right to ask for access to your data and where data is found to be inaccurate to have that data corrected. In certain circumstances you have the right to have data held about you erased, or the use of it restricted. You may be able to object to processing and may also have the right to have your data transferred to another data controller.
You also have a right of complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) at www.ico.org.uk if you think we have not dealt with your information in a proper manner.
You can ask to see what information we hold about you and have access to it. You can do this by contacting:
HM Senior Coroner for Avon
Flax Bourton Coroner’s Court
Old Weston Road
Other questions about the data being processed may also be sent to the above address.
Fraud Prevention and Detection:
Bristol City Council is required by law to protect the public funds it administers. It may share information provided to it with other bodies responsible for auditing, administering public funds, or where undertaking a public function, in order to prevent and detect fraud. For more information visit www.bristol.gov.uk/data-protection-foi/fraud-prevention-and-detection